Corten Steel Cleaning Service
Weathering steel, which is often called by its “trade name ” Cor-ten or Corten. This is a type of steel which was developed to eliminate the need for painting. This metal when left exposed to the elements, take on a “rust like ” appearance. In recent years In the Uk, there has been a growing trend to use this material due to its striking look. The most famous being The Angel of The North https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/article/3957/The-Angel-of-the-North
Corten steel Cor-ten or Weathering steel issues we can help.
This trend in its use has also bought with it its own problems- of which we can discuss later We as a specialised cleaning company have studied these associated problems and now offer a range of services that can help protect the Corten and prevent problems arising.
The theory behind using this is material is that as a layer of rust forms on the surface, this then offers the steel underneath protection from further deterioration thus this will eliminate the need for any paint to be applied. The reality of it is that for the steel to actually stabilise requires very specific environmental conditions which nature can fail to replicate.
Get a Free Quote
We have two specific problems that affect us as a cleaning service that arises. Firstly “run off”…this manifests its self as rust marks on the substrate around the structure. This could be blamed on “bad architecture “. The structure has been erected where no provision has been allowed for runoff ie no drainage has been implemented. As rainwater hits the structure small amounts of the Corten are carried from the steel and run down the structure. This can result in the “orange pavement syndrome”. The pavement will then need restoring carefully, the use of some fairly aggressive chemical are used in this cleaning up process, so should not be undertaken lightly. We can offer free advice on the choice of chemicals for use on specific paving materials.
The use of Corten in Low-level applications has resulted in the public being able to interact with it. This has resulted in “orange hands” where people have touched and rust stains on the fabrics of clothes. Getting rust stains out of fabric is notoriously difficult and due to the vast array of fabric used in clothing manufacture, we can offer little support.
Where we can help with low-level Corten is in our ability to seal it. Our sealing process can help
- Eliminate staining of surrounding areas from unsightly runoff and stains. Rusty drips on other substrates can ruin the look of a building.
- Eliminate transfer of rust to people (hands & clothing).
- Extend the life of the steel by protecting from further corrosion.
- Enhances the natural beauty and depth of the original finished.
- Good adhesion on naturally or artificially rusted surfaces.
- Self-annealing and will blend to itself to create complete protection.
- Available in a Standard 90 sheen or a Satin finish.
- Fully revisable or removable if problems arise
- Provides good levels of protection from bleaches, acids and bird droppings
- Easily and fully maintainable
- Provides long-lasting protection
If you have problems with a Cor-ten surface call us, we offer free advice if you feel you have the capability to carry out the project yourself. Failing that we are always happy to quote to carry out the work for you.